Friday, December 5, 2008

Working with Truckbuilder

By now hopefully you have finished your two truck designs in Truckbuilder. The first was a mid-size city delivery truck and the second was a long-haul semi-tractor trailer. Each had different qualifiers and different tie-breaks but the main contest for both was the best gas mileage. As many of you should have noticed gas milage for a truck is a lot lower than with an automobile. This is because of the weight of the truck plus the shape is definitely not aerodynamic.
The delivery truck was to have a top speed between 65-70 at least, a normal turning radius of under thirty feet, excellent braking, and be able to climb and descend hills safely. All conditions necessary for city driving, especially the turning. Even though there are not many hills here where we live a lot of cities do have them. Think of San Francisco! The tie break will be the alley turning radius which includes the body dimensions, mirrors, etc not just the where the wheels are. To change the alley radius you have to rework the body design.
The semi-tractor trailer is for hauling large amounts of cargo over distances. It required a top speed of 75 mph, a sleeper cab and cargo box trailer, a turning radius under forty feet, excellent braking, ability to climb and descent hills safely, and a range of at least 750 miles. Tie break for the semi-trailer will be greatest range. The engine-transmission combination is the most important factor on this truck, plus your want the biggest gas tanks you can get for the range.
How do your trucks compare to the rest of the class? What did you try to improve your truck ratings?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need to improve the gas and engine a little better

Anonymous said...

i thought it was preety dumb i didt like it at all jst lie the car builder

Anonymous said...

I think that truckbuilder is boring beacause i cant get my truck to work good up the hill and if i fix it correctly then somthin breaks.

Anonymous said...

ky truck is alright. I tried to make it go down hill well

Anonymous said...

i tried to improve my truck by finding the right parts for the truck.

Anonymous said...

I think my truck be alright compared to everyone else's. I changed the engine and suspension.

Anonymous said...

um it was really easy and cool i was the frist one to get it done! it was eayer to me cause i set there and did it! we should do stuff like this all the time!

Anonymous said...

i thought it was ok but not like car bulider because car builder you make it the way you want to look

Anonymous said...

i think truck are wway better than car i like them.

Anonymous said...

i thought it was hard

Anonymous said...

i like the truckbuilder because you could disighn the truck

Anonymous said...

i like the truck bilder cause you get too do lots of cool stuff like make a truck it is real cool

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how they compared, I just think they were pretty good. I believe most faired pretty well, but i'm not sure about travel distance. It was a good experience.

Anonymous said...

I din't understand to munch of this truck builder but I dont known who it was my truck o.k!!! I only tray may best.

Anonymous said...

the truckbuilder is very good working in this class.

Anonymous said...

the truck builder was alright but it wasnt all that. i wasnt really into it. it seems only intersting for the boys. im not really into trucks. but ya