Friday, January 25, 2008

Creating a Video

The main purpose of the 8th grade video class is to learn to make videos. There is more to it than just filming something and putting it on the web. First you need to come up with an idea for the video and plan it out. There are three main tasks in planning your video. They are creating an idea (called a treatment) and explaining it to the others that are involved; writing out the script, which includes what the viewer will see and hear; and creating a storyboard, a series of drawings (like a comic book) that helps you plan camera angles and action sequences.

Then its time to move into the actual shooting of the video. You select your actors/cameraman, go over the script and storyboard, and film each "take", or shot, two or three times. For some reason this always seems to be the hardest part when you are doing it for class.

Last its time for editing; cutting the raw video footage into the sections you want to keep, adding special effects and background music, creating the title and credit frames, and then publishing the video.

Each of these three parts should take you no more than one week to finish which means a lot of work in a short period of time. After the videos are turned in the class will watch some and we will do "critiques" where we talk about ways to make the video better. While this does involve pointing out any problems in the video we are not trying to just be negative, try to remember the best parts also. This is where a lot of learning how to improve can happen. Not just by others suggesting how to fix what you do wrong, but also seeing what other people were able to do right.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess im sorta excited about video taping but i hate projects, so im mixed mood. i HATE BEING IN VIDEOS >.< HATE HATE HATE >.<

Anonymous said...

It sounds like fun, i like being behind the camera just not in front of it, so it should be fun to be able to do videos in school.

Anonymous said...

we should make a video and put it on youtube. Like about pleasant valley or something of that nature.

Anonymous said...

With all that is involved in doing the video just one a week is not enough. Mostly because of the recording the movie. Also we have to add special effect, sounds, and cut out what we don't want. Especially if we only come to class three or two times a week.

Anonymous said...

I think makeing a video is going to be very exciting and fun. and it will be better if you let us work with our friends

Anonymous said...

fun but dont know what to do yet. but i'm looking forward to all that!

Anonymous said...

This semester I want to learn alot about how to take videos.I think that this class will be really fun because I like to take pictures.Typing master is kind of boaring because it wastes some of our time.Hopefully this class will be fun!

Anonymous said...

By reading the blog. I somewhat understand how to flim and also edit my videos. In my own opinion, making your own video is maybe something difficult, but then you're really acrtally learning sometning, by creating something. Making or learning videos everyday does help me understand more in how to make an great video. But the more you actually pay attention the more you know the information, and you'll actually get. But since I know how to work and all those basic for doing or working an video. Then I know how. But to actually make a good video. Then maybe I can learn from it. If I understand more and more an knowing how to make the videos. So I'm hoping that I can make a great video by learning more every each day I go to class. :] And so far, I'm enjoy video production right now. So, that's great :)

Anonymous said...

I think this is going to be a little easy and a little hard. Because i never took a video and thats going to be hard because i had no experience. And another reason is that if it is a digital camera i can do it dut if it is those other cameras i wont be able to take movies.

Anonymous said...

what i think about creating a video is, a very big responsibility and it's going to be a challenge and it's going to take some time and any one who try will get it some day and you are going to have to pay attention all the time

Anonymous said...

I think that having to do all of that work is going to be really hard to do. Every time we get to make a video we are giong to have edit it. That means in order to get a good grade we are going to have to edit as good as we can. Unless we have someone in our groups that could do all of this work i think that we are going to get bad grades.

Anonymous said...

Making a video is the best part of class. I love making videos. but i like making songs better.

Anonymous said...

what i think it's good to make a viideo and it will be good for my garde.Then i love pichers and movies and i will do good i this class.

Anonymous said...

I think that if we do that all day than it will be tight because its tight to take pictures around the school and puttiung them in the web and everything. Also that we could learn alot from the video camera we never even knew. Then we could learn how to put them in the computer and everything so we wont have any other problems or ask for other peaple or teachers for help.

Anonymous said...

I think that video taking is fun to do. But the process that is in editing is too much work. We only get a week to finish it which is not enough. With so short amount of time there is no time to think of ideas. We need more time to do the videos.

Anonymous said...

Its alright but i like to video tape not b in the video. I like to record other people. I think its more comfartable for me.

Anonymous said...

i like doing the videos but i dont like dat much typig master but other then that i like the video projects