Friday, September 4, 2009

DC Electric Motor

Finally we got to do some hands-on activities. Building a simple DC motor from scratch. I don't know about you guys, but this is one project that I have always had problems getting to work right.
A DC motor uses a wire coil, magnets, and electric power to turn electricity into movement. The electricity flows through the wire coil, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field from the wire reacts with the magnetic field from the magnets, causing the wire coil to be pushed either clockwise or counter-clockwise. The small break in the electricity flow caused by the side of the wire we didn't remove the insulation from allows the inertia of the wire to continue to spin until the electricity flows again and the magnet can push again. Think of a swing set where you are pushing someone all the way around, but the swing chains never get stuck. You are the magnet and the person in the swing is the wire coil.

How did you do on the project? I know most of you weren't that successful, but why do you think you weren't able to get it to work? What "Tweaks" did you try?

10 comments:

tbr said...

buliding the dc motor was hard but after a while i figure it out and i got the job done.

dnd said...

I didnt get the whole thing done but I came close I thinkk the problem for me was the coil, it didnt seem to be right

ja said...

i didn't get it 2 work. i think i did it right. i didn't try any "tweaks". i don't know why it didn't work.

kcb said...

building the motors was complicated. Once we got the hang of it we did allright.mine was the only one that worked. But i think my battery died.

es said...

I didn't get to the motor. I use all the Tweaks and Anyone work. But it was fun Making that motor.

sam said...

umm this class is koo i like it but we need to do projects more often then jus readin nd stuff

as said...

i thought that the dc motor was pretty cool it was alot of fun. I think tha hardest part about this project was makeing the coil and getting it wright. THE EASY PART ABOUT THIS PROJECT was putting it together. But it was hard to make it work and too position the paper clips right.

lh said...

The DC Electric Motor was pretty easy i had a little help but i did it myself.

lh said...

I didnt really know about dc motor cause i had helped and then i started to get it.

lh said...

we did the DC Motor and i didnt know how to do it