Friday, February 29, 2008

Alternative Energy

When I was in college, OPEC (Oil Producing Economic Council) did their first embargo and gas shot up from thirty five cents to $1.48 during the course of a week. Everybody was outraged and automobile companies started scrambling to redesign cars for better gas mileage. One of my enginnering classes the instructor showed us that with the known amount of oil deposits and the current rate of usage the world would run out of oil by 2004. The next year new oil was discovered in Alaska and several places in the ocean.
Even though more deposits have been found, oil consumption today is three times what it was in the 70's (mainly due to increasing use by third world countries and greater population) As a result gas prices regularly push four dollars plus, and a lot of alternative energy sources have been researched.
We have been studying these alternative resources and you have covered advantages and disadvantages of each. How would this affect your future? By the time you graduate from high school gas prices are supposed to reach eight dollars a gallon. This will greatly restrict the amount of driving around you do. Many of you know I drive a hybrid and as a result I can go one month between trips to the gas station (unless I take the chess team out of town.) In fact during the summer I normally fill up June 1 and then the second week of August (I don't drive much in the summer.)

Which of the alternative technologies do you think (or hope) will become the main sources of energy when you are twenty-five years old? Explain your reasoning and how the energy sources are used.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the best one would be geothremal energy because geothermal energy is free. It isnt hard to make steam from hot rocks all you have to do is pour cold water on it. Now we just need to find a way to send the energy from a power station to the whole country

Anonymous said...

i hope that there will be wind and solar power because it would have no pollution at all and our power will be the weather.the energy is used by the sun and the wind so we do not need that much stuff. the price will also be much cheaper.

Anonymous said...

I think that nuclear energy should be the main source of energy. Because it has less waist and more we can depend on it more. because we dont need id to come from the son or waves any place can get it.

Anonymous said...

i think cars will start running off of algae just like how now they have cars running off of vegetable oil. Becaus that is wat scientists are trying to do.

Anonymous said...

i think that cars will start running on water and waste, because theres alot of it. it would be alot cheeper too, i think.

Anonymous said...

I hope scientists would discover ways we can drives car without using any gasoline. Hybrid of course is the best way to go, but still not efficient enough. Man, when i'm 25 and gas go up to 8 dollars for a galon? that crazy ! If everything were to be made Hyrid, then everything will be better, for the enviroment and us.

Anonymous said...

I think peole would be using solar and wind power in twenty-five years because it is free and would not cause any pollution.

Anonymous said...

I think the one would be geothremal energy because it is free. It isnt hard to make steam from hot rocks all you have to do is pour cold water on it. Now we just need to find a way to send the energy from a power station to the whole country so it can make it a better place to live...........

Anonymous said...

um i think this is intresting because i read it and it talks about lots of stuff that i didnt kno but now that i read this i kno some thing new but i think the best one is Geothermal because the info says that it isnt hard to make steam from hard rocks and all you have to do is pour cold water on it.

Anonymous said...

I think that when i am twenty five years old that hydro electric power is going to be the most used because there is going to be more houses and there is going to be more because the houses are gonna need more water and i think that the only reason that we do not have that much oil and gasoline right now is because president george bush is going into war to much

Anonymous said...

I hope that tere will be wind and solar power.I think that nuclear energy should be th e main source of energy because it has less waits and more we can depend on it more

Anonymous said...

i hope that the nuclear energy should be the main one because it gots less waist and any place can be hiting by it

Anonymous said...

I think the one would be geothremal energy because it is free. It isnt hard to make steam from hot rocks all you have to do is pour cold water on it when it is hot.Now we just need to find a way to send the energy from a power station to the whole country so it can make it a better place to live on earth.